Show HN: Trimmed News – Instagram story style Hacker News reader https://ift.tt/2UYnEzm

Show HN: Trimmed News – Instagram story style Hacker News reader https://ift.tt/2w6T8Lr I'm here to announce another Hacker News reader. It's certainly not the first app created to read Hacker News but it's something different. I have used other apps for some time but I have never been satisfied with the experience. Hacker News design is old which alone is not a problem but if it's hurting the user experience it can be a problem. And I don't want to bash Hacker News website. In my opinion it's beautiful and I respect the decision to not update it look like every other website nowadays. Or even worst, change it to use React (React is great but Arc is important part of Hacker News’ origin). Trimmed News is Hacker News reader that shows stories in slides similar to Instagram stories, Snapchat, and many other social media applications. I wanted to use this design style instead of a list because at least I'm reading stories one at a time and then it would be better to show more information about that one item instead of what are the next 10 story titles. There are two interesting parts I spent some time thinking. 1. The stories change automatically after 10 seconds similar to other story designs (Instagram stories). The decision behind this one was that it's easy to get stuck into some story and start to think something else or just not concentrate properly. This timer keeps at least me more engaged and I can view the stories faster without sacrificing quality. 2. There are only 20 best stories. I thought that often that's how many stories I read because I don't want to waste my time but still get the most important information. I believe that after that the quality start to drop and it is not anymore efficient to read further. It's also a feature that keeps me coming back. Reading (/viewing) 20 items every morning is a goal. It's not too hard but it's just enough to get idea of what is going on in HN community. Appreciate to hear feedback about the app. https://trimmednews.com April 2, 2020 at 12:01PM

Comments